fbpx
Monday, September 21st, 2020
Home » Ports » U.A.E. splits with America on who’s to blame for tanker attacks in May

U.A.E. splits with America on who’s to blame for tanker attacks in May

PortandTerminal.com, June 27, 2019

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has not blamed Iran for the tanker attacks on four tankers off of Fujairah last month. The political hawks in Washington though have gone on record multiple times saying that Iran did do it.

Abu Dhabi, UAE – An investigation by the U.A.E., Norway and Saudi Arabia into the attack and disabling of four tankers off of the port of Fujairah on May 12th has concluded that a “state actor” was most likely behind the incident. Crucially though, no nation was singled out in the report as the culprit. Still, U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton has said that Iran was almost certainly responsible.

A Norwegian registered ship was also targeted in the attack off of Fujairah and sustained hull damaged that has been blamed on limpet mines.

Of the four commercial ships targeted in the May 12 attack, one was flying a UAE flag, two were tankers owned by Saudi Arabia, and the fourth was a Norwegian tanker. The UAE, which described the attack as a “sabotage,” did not elaborate on how the ships were damaged or who might be responsible. Iran denounced the attack and denied involvement.

The UAE has submitted the results of the investigation into explosive blasts in May on the four vessels off its coast to the United Nations which showed that a state actor was behind the operation but without naming any country. The United States and Saudi Arabia have blamed Iran, a charge Tehran denies.

“Honestly we can’t point the blame at any country because we don’t have evidence” 

Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Foreign Minister, UAE

The attack predated the pair of strikes in the Gulf of Oman this month that the U.S. has also blamed on Iran. In this more recent and more serious incident, two tankers were attacked in the Gulf of Oman as they made their way toward the Strait of Hormuz, the world’s foremost oil shipping chokepoint. The United States also blames Iran for that second attack.

UAE’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan

“Honestly we can’t point the blame at any country because we don’t have evidence,” Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan said on Wednesday in Moscow. “If there is a country that has the evidence, then I’m convinced that the international community will listen to it. But we need to make sure the evidence is precise and convincing.”

“John Bolton is absolutely a hawk”

John Bolton, US National Security Adviser

US national security adviser John Bolton, without offering evidence, says Iran ‘almost certainly’ responsible for oil tanker attack in UAE. “I think it is clear these (attacks) were naval mines almost certainly from Iran,” Bolton told reporters during a visit to Abu Dhabi shortly after the attacks off of Fujairah on May 12th.

I have some hawks. John Bolton is absolutely a hawk. If it was up to him he’d take on the whole world at one time.

President Donald Trump

Read more

Copyright © 2019 PortandTerminal.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Check Also

Smoke rises from the scene of the explosion in the seaport of Beirut

9 people are still missing after Beirut port explosion

PortandTerminal.com, September 20, 2020 BEIRUT – The Lebanese army announced Saturday that nine people are …

Man wades through flooded town following hurricane

Tropical Storm Beta puts over 10M people under warnings

REUTERS, SEPTEMBER 20, 2020 Tropical Storm Beta to drop a foot of rain in Texas …