fbpx
Friday, December 4th, 2020
Home » Cruise » Latest: Barbados puts on a brave face as it deals with scary COVID cruise ship

Latest: Barbados puts on a brave face as it deals with scary COVID cruise ship

PortandTerminal.com, November 13, 2020

“Nothing to fear” says government to Barbadians

BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS – The small Caribbean island of Barbados, home to just 287 thousand people, is telling is its worried citizens that they have “Nothing to Fear” after a cruise ship was allowed to dock there with at least six individuals testing positive for COVID-19.

Yesterday, we reported that five people aboard the SeaDream 1 cruise ship had tested positive for Covid-19. People testing positive for COVID on a cruise ship is not any longer unusual in of itself. The fact that the SeaDream 1 is the first cruise vessel to resume sailing in the Caribbean since the start of the pandemic is what makes this story newsworthy.

The cruise industry is desperately trying to get back on its feet and making honest, real efforts to do so safely. But those efforts are still falling short. It’s worth noting that SeaDream 1 is a smaller cruise vessel that targets wealthier vacationers. There are just 53 passengers on board — 37 Americans and 16 other from the UK, Austria, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Germany. Strict testing protocols had been put in place. But they obviously failed. The question now is could the cruise line’s attempts have ever hoped to succeed as the virus infection levels rage through all of those countries?

Here’s the latest

The Barbados government Friday sought to reassure citizens that their health status is not being compromised after the authorities allowed a cruise ship to dock here with at least six individuals testing positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“I can’t speak for the cruise ship and I don’t want to be able to do that, but I can safely say that we are assisting like we have been doing all the time and that assistance is being provided through the Best Dos Santos Lab doing the testing and the isolation facility at Harrison Point at this time has one person and we will continue to assist, we have the capacity to do so,” Health and Wellness Minister Lt Col. Jeffrey Bostic, said on  Starcom Network. 

The Health and Wellness Minister said that no one is being allowed to leave the vessel and that “the cases that were on board the vessel were isolated on the vessel and we actually went on board the vessel…and we did the swabbing of those persons that were presumptive positive cases and we followed that through with contact tracing with the people on the vessel that’s why we were able to test 34 persons”.

With reporting by Barbados Today

Other articles you may find interesting

Copyright © 2020 PortandTerminal.com

Check Also

Cruise Ship

Cruise ship being converted into an innovation hub for entrepreneurs

PortandTerminal.com, December 2, 2020 Ocean Builders‘ plan to convert luxury cruise liners into ocean communities …

Cruise ships anchored in a cluster at sea

This is when the cruise and travel industries will recover

BLOOMBERG, DECEMBER 1, 2020 Predictions on recovery from a consultant who has an eye on …