PortandTerminal.com, May 9, 2020
MIAMI, FL – Take this news with a pinch of salt. The news tabloid TMZ is reporting that Carnival Cruise Line has been inundated with bookings last week when they announced that they would resume limited operations after months of coronavirus lockdown.
Pent up demand or gas-lighting by Carnival?
Cruise Planners, a company that books cruises on the world’s largest cruise ship line, said bookings shot up by 600% when they announced that cruises would begin August 1. The spike is a 200% increase over the same time period last year.
The travel company told TMZ that those booking the cruises were “not a bit concerned about traveling at this time” because many said they were healthy and looking forward to having fun after being in lockdown for months.
Outbreaks of COVID-19 aboard cruise ships earlier this year was an early sign that the pandemic was raging out of control.
But the company has cautioned that there’s no guarantee they will be able to stick to their desired start date.
“We are taking a measured approach, focusing on the potential for sailing from a select number of homeports where we have more significant operations that are easily accessible by car for the majority of our guests,” Carnival Cruise Line said in a press statement last week. “We continue to work with various government agencies, including the CDC, as we introduce new onboard protocols, but there is no assurance of a return on August 1.”
Other articles you may find interesting
Copyright © 2020 PortandTerminal.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.