fbpx
Sunday, September 20th, 2020
Home » Security » ALL of Italy’s 60 mil. citizens in lockdown after huge spike in virus infections & deaths

ALL of Italy’s 60 mil. citizens in lockdown after huge spike in virus infections & deaths

PortandTerminal.com, March 10, 2020

“The whole of Italy is closed now,” was the headline in Corriere della Sera, the country’s largest-circulation daily. On Monday, Italy’s death toll spiked +27% to 463 from 366 on Sunday.

ROME, ITALY – “There is no more time,” Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte Conte said in a televised address to the nation.

Announcing the emergency measures, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte ordered the country’s 60 million population to stay in their homes. People must now seek official permission before they are allowed to travel.

“The whole of Italy will become a protected zone. We must all give up something for the good of Italy. We have to do it now.”

Italians are forbidden from gathering in public while the measures are in place. Bars, cafes, restaurants, and workplaces have been closed.

Schools and universities, which were ordered to be shut last week, will remain closed until early April.

All sporting events have been suspended across the country, which throws the conclusion of the rugby Six Nations Championship into doubt.

No one is allowed to travel unless given permission by authorities. Officials say people with valid family emergencies, or with jobs that are classed as essential, will still be allowed to travel.

READ: How do you feed 50 million people held in quarantine? Lessons from China.

Air passengers in and out of Italy will have to prove their travel is unavoidable. Cruise liners and other ships carrying passengers will be turned away from several of the country’s largest ports.

Italy faced an unprecedented lockdown on Tuesday that left streets in the capital Rome and other cities deserted after the government extended a clampdown across the entire country in a bid to slow Europe’s worst outbreak of the coronavirus.

The measures, announced late on Monday by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, widen steps already taken in the rich northern region of Lombardy and parts of neighboring provinces, restricting movement and banning public gatherings.

READ: The latest from Italy where 16 mill. people are in lock-down. Is America next?

The latest steps came after data showed the coronavirus outbreak continuing to spread, with 9,172 positive cases recorded as of Monday and 463 deaths, heavily concentrated in the prosperous northern regions of Lombardy, Emilia Romagna and Veneto.

Outdoor events, including sports fixtures, have been suspended, while bars and restaurants will have to close from 6 p.m. Shops are allowed to remain open as long as customers maintain a minimum distance of a meter between each other.

In the wake of the clampdown, neighboring Austria said it would deny entry to people arriving from Italy, while British Airways canceled all flights to and from the country.

Spain also just announced this morning that it is suspending all airline traffic with Italy as well.

SEVERE CONTROLS

The measures are some of the most severe controls imposed on a Western country since the Second World War and already there have been questions about how effectively they can be enforced across a country of 60 million people.

Shortly after Conte announced them, shoppers in Rome rushed to late-night supermarkets to stock up on food and basic necessities, prompting the government to declare that supplies would be guaranteed and urging people not to panic buy.

“You’ve also got the worry that the supermarkets will be emptied out of fear. If people keep over-buying there won’t be any water left,” said building superintendent Gianni, who like many Italians drinks bottled water.

“They should make people do it with an identity card, with one case per family,” he said, refusing to give his surname.

In the financial capital Milan, already under stricter controls, the situation was similar, with many shops and businesses open but far fewer people than normal on the streets.

The World Health Organization has praised Italy’s “aggressive” response to the crisis, since the first cases emerged near Milan almost three weeks ago, saying it could help contain the spread of the disease from its northern epicenter.

But the economic cost has been huge, with sectors from manufacturing to tourism reporting a collapse in orders that will impact for months to come.

On Monday, the Milan stock exchange dropped over 11% and Italy’s borrowing costs shot up, reviving fears that an economy already on the brink of recession and struggling under the euro zone’s second-heaviest debt pile could be plunged into crisis.

Conte has already promised “massive shock therapy” to help deal with the immediate economic impact of the crisis and on Tuesday, Industry Minister Stefano Patuanelli said the government would approve measures worth around 10 billion euros.

As well as pressing the European Union to relax its strict borrowing rules, he said the government was also working on temporarily suspending payments of bills, taxes and mortgages to ease pressure on small firms and households.

Other articles you may find interesting

Copyright © 2019 PortandTerminal.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Check Also

Man wades through flooded town following hurricane

Tropical Storm Beta puts over 10M people under warnings

REUTERS, SEPTEMBER 20, 2020 Tropical Storm Beta to drop a foot of rain in Texas …

Fighter jet. Rockets

18 Chinese Warplanes Threaten Taiwan During U.S. Visit

REUTERS, SEPTEMBER 18, 2020 China launches combat drills in Taiwan Strait, warns U.S. not to …